VIDEO: A DEEP Dive into Viva Las Vengeance by Panic! At The Disco

So...a couple weeks ago I finished up a project I had been working on since November: a 2-hour long video essay analyzing Viva Las Vengeance, an album by Panic! At The Disco that I simply just don't like. I wrote my thesis about long form video essays, and so making one just seemed like the natural next step. I like consistency.

I spent about two months writing an in-depth analysis about the album (20,000 words), one day filming the script, and about two weeks editing the monstrosity that is this video essay, even though I felt in my bones that nobody would want to watch such a thing...but I was wrong.

At the time of writing, this video has well over 3000 views, and it's quickly approaching 4000. Now how did this happen, coming from a channel that initially had less that 45 subscribers? A bit of strategic promotion through Tumblr and Reddit did the initial job, but what really shot me into niche internet fame was that I happened to make this video and release it a mere 5 days before Brendon Urie (the last remaining member of Panic!) decided to announce his retirement from the band. And it just so happens my video continues brushing on how I think this album is a "cry for help" and a "final goodbye" to the music industry. So...I was right and I had weirdly fortuitous timing. And now every time I check the video it has way more views and engagement than the last time.

The strangest part about this whole thing is reading the comments people leave, because it is such a divisive album, and people feel very strongly about whether they love or hate it! I personally get a little stressed reading what people have to say about my work, so I've been slowly getting through them all. Not quite ready to go into 50+ comments at once about my content, even if they're all fairly nice and positive, it's just a strange to know you are being perceived on the internet. It kinda makes my skin crawl just a little bit.

So if you're at all interested, feel free to go ahead and take a watch! It only takes an itty bitty 2 hours of your time...and is about Viva Las Vengeance...but I'm sure it'll be a fun time!

Comments