Halloweenie Time


I am a massive, mega, big ol’ weenie when it comes to scary movies. I cover my eyes, I yelp in fear, and I avoid extreme gore at all costs. Simply put, being scared is not something I like. And I’m not embarrassed or ashamed about it. I am a Halloweenie. However, I absolutely love Halloween. I love spooky stories, and pumpkins, and costumes, and cuddling up with candles and cider. And I don’t believe I’m the only one who wants to enjoy the spooky season without being unreasonably scared for my life.

So for your enjoyment this Halloween weekend, here are a few categories of Halloweenie movies for my fellow halloweenies! And of course, I scoured to find where they can be watched…many are available for free online, and most others with streaming subscriptions!

Stop Motion Animation - The Scariest Form of Filmmaking!

Coraline (2009)
I’ve heard that many people have a distinct fear of stop-motion animation, so if that is you, maybe stay away from these films! But for those of us who aren’t afraid, here are some nice spooky stop motion animation! It seems that stop-motion just consistently ends up intertwined with spooky stories…interesting…

  • Coraline (2009) - Free on the Roku Channel
  • Paranorman (2012) - Free on the Roku Channel
  • Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) - Free on Amazon Prime
  • Wendell & Wild (2022) - Netflix

Children’s Movies Are For Grown-Ups Too…

Who said children’s movies were for kids?! I can watch them if I want! But seriously, like Hocus Pocus? Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed? Exemplar films. Absolutely fantastic, they make me chuckle and they’re cute. What more could you want?

  • Halloweentown (1998) - Disney+
  • Hocus Pocus (1993) - Disney+
  • Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004) - Netflix, HBO Max
  • The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown (1966) - Apple TV+
Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004)

A Little Scarier Than Your Average Film 
 
Jennifer's Body (2009)
I didn’t want to go a little too overboard, but here are two movies that fit my level of weenie, but not necessarily everyone's. I do, however, believe that Jennifer’s Body is one of the most fantastic films ever made, so if you haven’t seen it once, just consider it.
  • Jennifer’s Body (2009) - Free on Amazon Prime
  • The Craft (1996) - Free on the Roku Channel
 
Silly, Campy, Good Fun  

Halloween is full of camp, and we need to acknowledge it! One of these things is not like the others (Hubie Halloween), but they’re all four fun, a little campy, a little goofy at times, but perfect for getting into the Halloween spirit.

  • Hubie Halloween (2020) - Netflix
  • What We Do in the Shadows (2014) - Kanopy
  • The Witches of Eastwick (1987) - Free on Tubi
  • The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) - Hulu…also for free with a shadow cast this Saturday in Cordiner (which I am making an appearance in!)

(photo by Oliver Baltzer)

Whodunnit?

Clue (1985)
If I could watch only whodunnits (without the endings getting spoiled for me), I would. I love murder mysteries so, so, so much. Today, however, I selected two movies, which I personally think would make a perfect double feature.

  • Clue (1985) - Showtime
  • Knives Out (2019) - Buy/Rent

Autumnal Vibes

So Halloween is over but you still want to watch some fall movies. Look no further! While a couple of these movies may lean a little more October than November, these are all very cozy movies that make me want to sip tea and cuddle under blankets…and in the case of Over the Garden Wall, maybe sob a little bit.

  • Over the Garden Wall (2014) - Hulu & HBO Max
  • The Love Witch (2016) - Kanopy
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) - Hulu, Disney+
  • When Harry Met Sally (1989) - HBO Max & Netflix
The Love Witch (2009)


(fun fact: The Love Witch was filmed in Arcata, California, and I have seen this house in the flesh. Truly a transformative moment)

I will personally be delving into some of these movies with my limited free time this week (the true horror was the thesis all along), and I hope you do too! Have a safe and fun Halloween, however you choose to celebrate.

And if you're an annoying film major like me, you can find these movies and more on my Halloweenie Letterboxd list: https://boxd.it/dklEY !

Comments